market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sobering but possibly stereotypical article?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sobering but possibly stereotypical article?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:37:44 -0500

See this description of Wendell Berry's short story 'It Wasn't Me',
found in these collections 'The Wild Birds' and 'That Distant Land':
" 'It Wasn’t Me' uses the form of an auction to pit a reverence for
the land against the narrow and uncaring commercial use of it. There
are three bidders: a young man named Elton Penn who has farmed the
land for his landlord; a doctor, who is most likely looking for an
investment and possible tax shelter but who would be more than willing
to have Penn manage it; and a neighboring farmer who wants to expand
his farm holdings, and this particular farm sits right in the middle
of it. In the few short pages of the story, Berry explores motives and
beliefs, stripping them down to bare essentials."

Berry writes elsewhere about folks willing to sell land for less than
its commercial value. As does Gene Logsdon, who recounts the true
tale of farm owners defending their decision to sell for 'less than
its value' because that's all a young family, their preferred buyers,
could afford.

Other please chime in with additional literature or other resources
that flesh out this scene, of keeping a farm and its traditions
intact. Those who care about preserving farmland need to point to
examples where sale price alone is not the primary determinant.

Lest you think selling land for less than the max possible doesn't
exist today, it's how we bought our farm 3 1/2 years ago. We made the
verbal commitment to keep the farm intact, actively farm it, and
attempt to restore and live in the old family farmhouse (early 1800s).
The family sold it to us, and not to others who reportedly were
interested in maximizing its development value.

This all came about by face to face conversations, realtors were not
involved. But we had talked previously with land trust attorneys,
for advice on how to find and purchase such a farm.

So, there is hope that some small-med farms are staying such when it's
time to sell. Hope that against stereotype in the article cited,
families are willing to forgo highest dollar possible and considering
other options, such as selling to another family who wants a small,
diverse farm, in keeping with its history.

I'm also aware of cases where the bulk of the farm is sold, except a
small house that the farmer can remain in until they die. Then that
also passes on to the new owners. So the elderly farmer(s) can remain
in their house paid for and with folks to check in on them, while
still seeing their land being farmed by new owners. Other variations
on this theme exist, that as noted need to be spelled out in writing.

I do agree if you have an eye on a farm, for the near future or later,
there is value in letting the owners know, with respect and grace.
The land behind us sold to someone from NY, who now is asking and may
receive 6X what he paid for it a few years ago. The original seller
didn't know a younger family member was interested, for he didn't
bother to ask, and they didn't bother to tell him.

Richard Moyer
SW VA