market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming - hoop houses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Winter's coming - hoop houses
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 12:29:36 +0000

Actually, in 6b, we have active growth all winter in double wall high
tunnels, just slower. The most limiting factor seems to be light rather than
heat. Mesclun takes three to four weeks to regrow, for instance. But we
have transplanted lettuce at the end of December and started harvesting heads
of lettuce 7-8 weeks later - with actual freezes in between. I would think
you could do much better than that. I'm guessing you have fewer overcast
days, and many fewer very cold nights. If your tunnel is single layer, an
additional layer over the crops may help.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Sent from my iPad