market-farming - [Market-farming] white rot

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: alicia best <bestici AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] white rot
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 06:48:18 -0700

Why is it that you don't know about the really bad stuff until you have it?  I have 8 beds of garlic that the plant pathologist is 99.9% sure upon visual inspection is white rot.  I am looking for any suggestions on how to handle this, short of shutting down my garlic and onions aspect of my growing operation.  There doesn't seem to be much information on any organic methods for dealing with the fungus.  I am hoping someone might have experience with cover cropping, anything.....  I am not interested in spreading the fungus, but am looking for ways to possibly salvage some income from the crop.  Any thoughts suggestions would be greatly appreciated.