market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] post-harvest handling resource?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] post-harvest handling resource?
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 23:02:28 EDT

When we started we were very small, and the best  rule we used around here was common sense.  Wash everything, and this helps get the field heat out of your produce, the quicker the heat will leave your product the longer it will keep for your customer.  Green beans was about the only product we didn't wash, they will rust really bad and fast, that said we have washed them if they were really muddy.  Clean your picking containers and wash them out between products to help with contamination, hazards are present in soil and water and on humans and clothing, plus what your neighbors were spraying this week.  The best rule of thumb is sell clean cooled products in clean display methods.  We sell in baskets that are lined in food grade plastic and never used twice.  To keep produce a walk in cooler at a temp around 35 to 40 degrees and keep the humidity very high, ours runs around 95%, this really helps  with most products to keep them crisp

Iowa State PM 1976b Revised January 2011  is a really good publication on food handling guide.

PM1974C.pdf

Some of  these sites might answer a lot of questions.

Phil from Iowa