market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The Health Department at the Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: clark AT crookedcarrot.com
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The Health Department at the Market
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 06:37:49 -0700 (MST)

Hello Allan,

I was a county health inspector here in AZ for seven years and
currently work for a company that does third-party inspections
for restaurants and retail food establishments.

In our food code all equipment used in the food establishment
must be commercial grade or equivalent(NSF approved). It also
states that you must have "adequate" facilities for maintaining
food temperatures.

That said, it is sometimes up to the whim of the inspector, but
they have those tools to use when needed. In my mind (as an
inspector) as long as I can be reasonabaly assured that after I
leave an establishment that people are safe to eat there, then
all is good.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, let me know.

Clark Furlong
Crooked Carrot Farm
San Tan Valley, AZ
602-615-6892