market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] The Health Department at the Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] The Health Department at the Market
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 08:47:27 -0400

On Apr 6, 2011, at 7:16 AM, Allan Balliett wrote:

So, Coleman makes a cooler (Xtreme) that holds ice for 5 days in
90degree weather. If eggs were 42 degrees from the fridge, is it
logical to think that this cooler would hold them at 42 degrees for 4
hours or am I making erroneous assumptions? Thanks -Allan

As you're going to be opening the cooler from time to time to take eggs out, thereby letting warm air in, I doubt it's going to hold the remaining eggs at 42º if they start off at 42º. I think you need some ice packs in there. You could experiment at home.

I don't myself sell anything that needs to be cooled; but, while inpectors do seem to vary, I've seen meat, eggs, and cheese for sale at market in coolers in a number of counties in New York State. State inspectors do indeed come to the markets, and the only complaint they've had that I've heard of was about cheese or cheese-containing baked goods that weren't in a cooler at all.

It seems to me that coolers, with sufficient ice and with thermometers, would be more secure for temperature than battery-run refrigerator/freezers. The coolers aren't going to break down, or run out of battery power.