market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] soil fertility continuing ed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] soil fertility continuing ed
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:32:54 -0500

I have been exploring biochar some. The temperature at which the char is made makes some difference. It has to be treated with urine, nitrates, compost or something that will saturate it some with minerals especially nitrates. Otherwise, for a year or so, it will keep your plants from getting the nitrogen they need to grow.

Here is a video of a charcoal grinder you can make.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uERRkGNtgxE
There are more shots of the grinder at http://organotill.org/video- index/ Scroll down to Biochar Efforts.

Http://www.thebiocharcolution.com Is a great introduction.
Johannes Lehmann at Cornell an authority on the subject.

Marty