market-farming - [Market-farming] Farm Day ideas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Diane Kann <dianek59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farm Day ideas
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:48:05 -0000

We are considering holding our first FARM DAY (we have an organic hydroponic farm--sell retail at our farm stand and at farmers markets, as well as to co-ops, restaurants, health food stores, etc) and would like ideas from those that have hosted a farm day at their farm, as well as those that have attended one (or wish they could!).

So far, our ideas are pretty basic: local chef with cooking demos and food tasting, farm tours, a few exhibits that compliment our farm (vermiculture, farms that produce items we sell for them that we don't produce, etc) and possibly a speaker or 2.  We plan to have plenty of our products for sale, of course, but also might have a few (less than 6) vendors selling other items that work well with ours.  We might (or might not) have a couple of livestock viewing areas (we have dairy goats and laying chickens) where people can see a couple of animals and ask questions about them (education on livestock) but our farm concentration is vegetables, greens, and some fruit, so will not focus on the animals.

We are working on completing our first farm cookbook, so hope to feature that, along with some t-shirts, produce bags, etc.  But the big focus is on what our farm grows--it's tastes and nutrients-- and how they can enjoy it more.

All ideas welcome--we are just in the beginning planning stages and are looking for "we did..." or "we saw...." or "we would really like...."

Looking forward to hearing others thoughts!

Diane
http://hocfarms.com

  • [Market-farming] Farm Day ideas, Diane Kann, 02/24/2011