market-farming - [Market-farming] Cleaning root crops--Barrel washer plans or pics?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cleaning root crops--Barrel washer plans or pics?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:10:37 -0500

The carrot germination thread has the root washers in my family thinking:
Our customers (chefs and farmers market) would buy more carrots if we
could supply them. Chefs also like baby ones, which take so much more
time to wash by hand.

We've tried spreading them out on a screen and spraying them, but our
soil sticks to the bottom and we have to rotate them all by hand and
spray again.

We need a higher volume process. Please share what works for you,
rotating barrel or other, for cleaning 5 to 20+ pounds of root crops
at a time. Parsnips, daikons, beets, salsify, sunchokes, etc also
have unmet demand.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA; being blessed with much needed rain.

  • [Market-farming] Cleaning root crops--Barrel washer plans or pics?, Richard Moyer, 02/24/2011