market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Compost
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:41:24 -0600

Thanks, Bill--this is a lot of help!  It's the direction I was leaning and will be the cheaper option as well.  I was a little concerned that it wasn't well composted, but what you said relieves that concern and it will, of course, compost in-place.

We will be adding a lot of wood chips as mulch and we'll also be adding soft rock phosphate, MycoGrow Soluble (www.fungi.com), humic acid, and kelp when we plant.  Any other suggestions along those lines?

We'll be doing another soil test really soon here to see where our pH is and will add lime accordingly.  We do have a tendency toward slightly acidic soil here, so we expect to have to add lime periodically, but hopefully the biological life in the soil that we're building will buffer that some.

Unfortunately, the last guy who brought our lime could not tell us how much calcium was in the lime. The chicken litter we had delivered was from a laying house, which should have some calcium in it. We had a soil test done before this last set of amendments, but will do a comprehensive test again ASAP before the trees arrive.

Thanks!
--Leslie