market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill & Izabella" <pureprairiefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Compost
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 22:31:56 -0600

Definitely the leaves.  They will break down quickly and trees
definitely need the carbs.

Mushrom compost is aged horse manure and is high in ammonia and
high in sodium.

Carey Reams said fruit trees make 50% of their own nitrogen so they
don't need as much N as the university says.  They need P and Calcium
which are made available by fungi, especially micorrhyza, and fungi
do not like N, they thrive in high carb.  Think of a forest soil; leaves and
branches layered.  Not green manure cover crops.

If I was you, I would add wood chips, lime and soft rock phosphate.

Bill