market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market IRS classification?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market IRS classification?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:21:03 -0600

No--classes aren't for farmers, exactly (though many are relevant for
backyard gardeners) as they are staffing their booths while the classes are
going on. I say "it's a stretch" because they're really run by ONE volunteer
(who is not a member of the FM board) and not facilitated by the market much
at all because of poor communication (the market manager's fault), therefore
they are publicized poorly and have poor attendance--sometimes no one at all.
In fact, the market failed to even put the classes on their website this
entire year. The classes run the gamut and have covered things like sewing
with kids, vermicomposting (home-scale), greenbuilding, home canning, various
cooking classes, spinning wool/fiber, recycling, solar cooking, tatting and
other handcrafts, master gardeners at the market, etc.

The volunteer put a LOT of work into these classes the last 3 years, but
because of frustration over poor communication and terrible publicity for the
classes, she has said she isn't going to do it next year. (I don't blame
her--I wouldn't, either.) I don't think that anyone else currently
affiliated with the market is capable of putting these classes together week
after week. (They're not capable of doing a SINGLE market event! They had 3
events planned for last year and cancelled all 3 of them.)
So, in my mind, it puts the market's tax exempt status at risk as they
applied based primarily on the fact that they would hold these kinds of
classes.

I have another email to write about my market, but I'll start a fresh email
about it.

--Leslie