market-farming - [Market-farming] Setting ground posts, Driving in or Digging holes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Setting ground posts, Driving in or Digging holes
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 20:21:10 -0800 (PST)

I have purchased and dismantled and moved home a 30 by 48 Stuppy's Powerhouse Greenhouse. I am going to use it as a high tunnel.  I am needing opinions and experiences.  At it's previous location, all the ground posts were set in concrete and alot of it.  I have new ground posts and I was wanting to know you opinion.

Do I drive them in the ground with a post driver or loader bucket or do I dig holes and set them and then tamp the soil back around the pipes?  Which one is better?  I know which one is easier!
Here is the plan, I am planning on putting concrete in the four corners and around the center rib and ground posts.  I am planning to set the posts in the ground 48 inches.  It is just the other 12 posts. Do I dig or drive? What would you do or what have you done?

Thanks,

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas