market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse heater support

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse heater support
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:39:29 -0500

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:11:42 -0600, grizzdover AT gmail.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am looking at a greenhouse heater (Reznor UDAP 250) that weighs 215lbs.  I
> think this is too much weight to suspend from our greenhouse frame.  I'm
> wondering if it is possible to purchase or make a "stand" that would support
> the perimeter of the heater base?  Or, what would be some other ideas to
> support the heater at least 5 ft. off the ground without hanging it from the
> greenhouse structure.

Not that I think you should hang it, but the weight is not that
great--divided into four point loads, that's only 54 lbs at each, less than
if you were to stand on the frame, and about equal to the load of 6" of snow
(very rough calc, based on 15 pounds per square foot distributed over the
area of the heater).

I would think it would be pretty easy to build a platform from 1" or 1.5"
square steel tubing, held together with angle brackets and self-tapping
screws. The bottom could be an inch or two less in each dimension than the
bottom of the heater, sitting on legs to give it the right height. the legs
could be placed on wooden feet to distribute the load over the soil so it
didn't sink in. The legs could straddle a bed, so you don't lose planting
area. I'd run a couple of braces from high up the platform to the side or top
in order to steady the frame and prevent it from toppling if jostled.

--
Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/