market-farming - [Market-farming] Summer Squash on Black Plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Summer Squash on Black Plastic
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 14:34:49 -0400

I've got my yellow, zuke and pan squash out on black plastic like we've done the last couple of years.

I've got heavy remay over them, which I think I used for the first crop last season.

I just peaked under the remay and found that about half the squash were dead and the remaining half, half dead.

And it was extremely hot under the remay.

But, isn't that what summer squash loves?

I think my flaw was under watering with plugged t-tape. The soil was damp but the t-tape was clearly not working as it should. The squash have been out for two weeks.

My question, which comes from being pretty flustered right now, is this: that combination, black plastic and heavy remay (actually, probably mid-weight) is normally just fine for summer squash, isn't it ?

At least I didnt' see any cucumber beetles on my squash when I lifed the remay! ;-)

Thanks

Allan in WV (zone 7, mid-Atlantic where it is HOT right now)