market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shading peas?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shading peas?
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2010 07:14:32 -0500

Greetings,
If you decide to go with shade cloth, Lowes carries it.
Bright Blessings,
Garth & Kim Travis
www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
Bedias, Texas

Nan Hildreth wrote:
We're a new market farm and our best product is now pea shoots. I've never grown peas before but I sold $100 of shoots at the market today and have restaurant customers wanting them. After so many failures in the last 18 months, it's great to have a little success. But we're in zone 8b and it will be 87 tomorrow.

Should I shade them? Would the the translucent white roofing plastic I already have work? Or weed barrier cloth that I'm not using? Or do I need to mail order shade cloth? Other tips?

Will lots of water help keep them going? I have drippers on them, but would micro-sprinklers in the heat of the day be better? Shall I plant some Wando peas in a bed with only morning sun or wait until September?

Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

Action is the antidote to despair....
Joan Baez