market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 86, Issue 83; garlic dibbers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dave or Kathy Campbell" <dkcampbell AT southslope.net>
  • To: <rob AT songberry.ca>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 86, Issue 83; garlic dibbers
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:43:34 -0500

I plant about 14,000 garlic each October, so had my local welder fix me up a bike dibber.  We took an old 18” child’s bike and replaced the rubber on the front wheel tire with a steel band, to which we welded 12 dib prongs—3’ long, ¾” diam.  This worked out just even to put one dib hole every 6” when you roll the bike along the row.  Actually, these dib holes aren’t wide or deep enough for the bigger cloves, but the spacing along the row is clear, so a hand dibber may also be needed using my system.   The front fork of the bike has to be extended, of course, to let the spikes clear, and I put big training wheels on the back to make the rig into a tricycle.  That way the rear wheel doesn’t obliterate to newly-dibbed holes.

Another customer came by after my welder had built my bike dibber, and asked, “WHAT in blazes is THAT?”  “Well, “ explained the welder, “I got this guy likes to ride his bike on the ice!”

==Dave Campbell    Tiffin IA   Zone 5