market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vole Salad Bar

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Allan.Balliett" <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: maggiepalmer AT wyoming.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vole Salad Bar
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 08:18:00 -0500

Maggie - Do you use lights in your greenhouse to extend the hours of light the seedlings get (and maybe the intensity of light?)

I've been doing some seedstarting in the hoophouse in trays and finding that pretty goofy with strong sun even on cold days radiant heat often driving the trays to 100degrees while the heat mat is set at 60. We still get good germ but sometimes only on both ends of the trays, the middle cells apparently sterilized. Life would be so much easier if I could do all of my early germ in the hoophouse.

Is anyone doing that?

I've purchased several of the cheap but sturdy white 6-ft long folding tables from Lowes. We use them at the farmers market and for packing etc at the farm. This time of year I use them for seedlings in the greenhouse. Because they are plastic it doesn't matter if they get wet and I don't find drainage to be an issue. As long as there are not electric cords, etc, making lateral paths to the tables, I do not get rodent damage, but they must try to get on the table nightly because if I accidentally make a bridge from a wall to a table, like an empty flat on the table pushed close to the wall, EVERYTHING on that table can get eaten or destroyed in one night.

We have a great crop of japanese white turnips over wintering in the house. We have about 50% rodent damage in that crop. Yes, the sobs chew a little on the shoulder of one turnip before chewing a little on the next. We eat a lot of great tasting turnips at my house, the lip marks cutaway, but we have to pick and choose for our cusotmers.

-Allan in WV where we still have a lot of snow on the ground