market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Weed control advice?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Weed control advice?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:09:36 -0500

On Jan 30, 2010, at 3:53 PM, saladg AT aol.com wrote:

You may want to look at WeedGuard Plus.  www.weedgusrdplus.com.  I just noticed it a conference I went to this week, Looks very intresting.

Phil from Iowa

I think you've misspelled the link. Try weedguardplus.com

The web site says there's a "natural-organic" formulation, but I don't think the product is acceptable to at least some certification agencies -- last I looked NOFA-NY wasn't accepting this, though that might have changed; and it's not listed on the OMRI list, though some acceptable things aren't, as you need to pay to be OMRI listed.

The questions would be both the source of the cellulose used, and what are they using as a binder? A lot of supposedly "natural" mulches turned out to have contaminants, and/or impermissible materials used as binders. I don't know whether this is one of them.

Basically, if you're certified organic, always check with your certifier first; and if you're not certified, but this is an issue for you, I'd check with an agency anyway;  the use of the word "organic" in products of this sort seems unfortunately to be unregulated.