market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Weed control advice?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Weed control advice?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:38:07 -0500

Not answers to your questions, but might make a difference: I know of a very successful farmer who farms a hillside. His beds are 25 feet wide and several hundred feet long. He plants across the 25 foot width instead of the length. They do most work by hand.

Other point I picked up recently – for flame weeding to be most effective your beds need to be very level. Otherwise weeds in depressions don’t get zapped enough.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe