market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] High Yield crop recommendations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] High Yield crop recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:50:15 -0600

What a good idea! I would have to agree with Elaine that the German
Butterball' potato would be a great choice. Very heavy yields. The
only downside I have had with it is that it seems to be more
susceptible to scab. As far as I know this just effects the looks and
has no influence on nutrition. Another productive potato variety for
me is 'Caribe'. These are also decent producers with a single spud
averaging around a half pound. 'Celebrity' has been a great tomato
variety for us and seems to even produce nice fruits on less than
ideal trellis conditions. As far as greens go, I would agree with
John that you may want to see if they even would accept them since
they are such a perishable item. Perhaps your greens space may be
used for another crop that they could use.

Ben