market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] High Yield crop recommendations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Paul Endicott <jpendicott AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] High Yield crop recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:59:01 -0500

Hi all.  Happy New Year!   I am currently working on a plan to grow on a community garden plot for the coming year.  100% of the crops will go to a local food cupboard to feed the needy.   I'm looking for recommendations for tomatoes, potatoes, and spinach/lettuce/greens:

1.  What type of tomatoes produce the highest yield for you?  I'm thinking of growing mostly plum tomatoes for saucing.   I'd imagine sauce would go a long way at a food kitchen.  I've grown 'Orange Bannana' and 'Speckled Roman' with great success.  Does anyone have any other recommendations?  I would want indeterminate varieties.

2.  Potatoes-   I'm thinking just a basic yukon gold and maybe one other variety.   I haven't grown potatoes in a  long time- any suggestions?

3.  Greens-  I'd like to grow head lettuce mainly.  I won't be there everyday to harvest and I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

I'm just starting on this project so please excuse the lack of details.  I'm hoping to get donated seed and supplies.  This plot is located outside of Philadelphia in zone six on the grounds of Temple University.

Thanks for any help or input!