market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash bug control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash bug control
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 14:59:29 -0700

Ben as you already know we are about to be bombarded by a lot of oppressive
food safety laws. This is nothing new its been in the works now for over 10
years. We farmers have been able to hold back these laws but public momentum
is working against us. We need to keep raw poop out of our fields there are
BMP ways to handle manure. We need to set a good example if we want to keep
the public on our side. My fear is not the big guys who already are under a
federal food safety microscope its the hobby farmers and those who play at
farming who I fear will be the source of the next food illness outbreak.
Keeping domestic birds and pets out of the vegetable plantings and applying
BMPs is a good start...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.