market-farming - [Market-farming] Coyote-Wolf Hybrids in Northeastern USA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Coyote-Wolf Hybrids in Northeastern USA
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:26:02 -0400

I seem to remember a few listmembers here, including at least one in
Western NY, telling of scary experiences with packs of *large* coyotes.

I'm very sure they will be interested in this article from a Scientific
American blog:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=wylie-coywolf-the-coyote-wolf-hybri-2009-09-23

or

http://tinyurl.com/kr2sf3

Genetic proof makes it pretty definite.

Note that the scientist mentioned as the lead author of the article
referenced above works for the NY State Museum in Albany so naturally his
interests are confined to NY State. However, I think it's a sure thing
that if they are in Western NY, they are also here in the Northern Tier of
Pennsylvania. We are only about 40 miles from Corning, NY. They are also
likely to be other areas of the Northeastern USA.

Another article describing the same study is here:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/09/22/coyote-wolf.html

We (in Wellsboro, PA, about 40 miles south of Corning, NY) hear the coyotes
(or possibly coywolves) singing at night, although I haven't seen them from
the house.

Somehow it's difficult to picture a family of coyotes howling in
preparation to go off on a Grand Mouse Hunt, the occasion just doesn't seem
to call for a group howl. Hunting deer - now that's another story
altogether. Or maybe I've been hearing coywolves....

Be careful out there!

Cheers,
Pat
-- North-Central Pennsylvania, USA
www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

The world has enough for everyone's need,
but not enough for everyone's greed.

Attributed to Mahatma Gandhi.