market-farming - [Market-farming] Spinach sprouting . Also clover no-till

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Spinach sprouting . Also clover no-till
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:43:54 -0400

Elaine asked:
Pam: How do you sprout the seeds?

Put the seeds into a glass jar (or something), add water to cover and
more. Wait overnight or all day. Drain off the extra water. I cover
the jar with a screen lid I happen to have, but you can use some thin
fabric, rowcover scrap or window screen scrap. If you use a mason jar,
you can hold the fabric on with the ring part of the lid. It lets some
air to the growing seeds. Put the jar in the fridge and enjoy your
life for the next week. Prepare the bed, retrieve the seed from the
fridge and plant it.

Richard - about no-till with clover -

I don't think clover mow-kills in the way that mature vetch and rye
do. The clover could easily suppress the garlic. Alliums are notorious
for not doing well in competition with other plants. I think you'd
need to till in the clover. Or at minimum, if you are doing wide
spaced rows, till out planting rows and leave clover strips. Having
said this, I've never tried it myself, so hopefully someone who knows
more will say something.

Pam, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA