market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Banana Peppers lose heat after harvest???

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Banana Peppers lose heat after harvest???
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:23:35 -0400

On Sep 28, 2009, at 5:47 PM, growbd AT aol.com wrote:

Hi All.

I harvested 15 pounds of banana peppers about 5 days ago with the intention of pickling them.  They've stayed in a cool but not refrigerated spot since then.

Just starting cutting them up and, with more than half cut, have not found ONE with any heat left.  They are otherwise in good condition, firm and plump.  I chomped on several while I was harvesting because I wasn't sure if some of them were a long sweet italian--they were ALL hot.

I have never known Hungarian Hot Wax, or other hot peppers, to do this; either at (highly variable) room temperature, or in the freezer. The only case I know of is a customer who complained that hers lost heat and flavor after a long time in the freezer; it turned out that she was using, not a deep freeze as I do (0º or below, chest freezer with no automatic defrost), but the little freezer on top of her refrigerator. Since then I try to remember to warn people about long storage in refrigerator freezers.

Have you tested your taste buds on anything else? have you tested the peppers on anybody else? Did you eat anything odd just beforehand, or take any medication that might damage sense of taste?