market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting methods for Salad mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting methods for Salad mix
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:21:32 -0500

Regards to the list!

I've been reading through the archives from this year and already found answers to two questions (we're going to pass on the Johnny's greens harvester and wait on the pinpoint seeder). So thank you already. A few questions I didn't see answered follow.

We grow salad mix intensively (hand planted in rows about 3 in/apart). We usually cut just once because the labor associated with hand sorting 2nd and 3rd plantings often doesn't justify it. Although in cooler weather it is more tempting to do that.

A few questions for the expert salad mix growers out there:

- are you cutting by hand?
- any suggestions on how to sort out any bad bits quickly?

We have the same question about arugula - how does everyone harvest it and post process it? We find it to be an extremely time consuming crop at times.

We do grow both of those in low tunnels under row cover, which helps reduce the damage.

Kim Martin
Barking Cat Farm
www.barkingcatfarm.com
barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com