market-farming - [Market-farming] sour blueberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz" <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] sour blueberries
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:14:27 -0400

I don't know if it's all the rain we've had & now the heat, but we have loaded blueberry bushes--except the berries are mostly sour.  (The ones I sold last week were sweeter.)  They've come in about a week early so I'm not sure if later ones will sweeten up.  I should have known something was up since there has been little bird & deer damage.  I sold out of the berries by 8:00 last Saturday and they were priced almost twice what others had theirs priced.  I don't get a chance to scout the market before I'm inundated with customers & since we don't have a permanent spot, we're one of the last produce people allowed to set up before opening so we're usually scrambling to set up while selling at the same time.  Now I'm afraid those customers who bought last week will come back and buy these and they won't taste the same.  Should I warn them to sweeten them up a bit??  It doesn't take much and then the blueberry flavor really pops, but they don't taste like that on their own.

Liz
Horseshoe Gardens