market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 77, Issue 48

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Errol Castens <castens AT nepower.coop>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 77, Issue 48
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:36:52 -0400 (EDT)

Kim Travis wrote:
... the first okra is due this weekend. Mine is also ready and I have no idea what price to sell it for. Or what size container. The customers are mostly singles or couples with no children.

Errol replies:
Can't help with the actual pricing, but it sounds like a potentially upscale clientele. You might try making a "gumbo kit" with any of the other following ingredients that you happen to grow. I borrowed this recipe from cooks.com.

3/4 - 1 lb. fresh okra, sliced
1 lg. onion or 6 green onions, chopped
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
2 or 3 cloves garlic
Sprinkle of Mrs. Dash
Sprinkle of Gumbo File
Salt to taste
Sm. amount olive oil
1/2 c. rice, uncooked

Start cooking the rice while preparing the Gumbo mixture. Wash and cut okra. Clean and chop onions, also garlic. Wash tomatoes and dice. Use a non stick skillet. Add olive oil. Stir fry the above. Add a small amount of water. Add seasonings. Cook until tender. Serve over cooked rice.

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 77, Issue 48, Errol Castens, 06/26/2009