market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mulching garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mulching garlic
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:59:21 -0500

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:58:04 -0500, Barbara Dieckman wrote:
> I actually am interested in your using leaves as they are plentiful for me.
> know most of the market farmers that grow garlic here use straw, but it is
>$$
> and the leaves are already here. Do you have good luck with the leaves and
> how much do you put on?

This is only my third year mulching garlic with leaves, though my umpteenth
mulching with leaves elsewhere (mainly raspberries). For this year, I have
placed the entire kraft-paper bag tight over the rows, so that there is about
18" of insulation above the ground. I got them on just in time, it turns
out--the past week has been below freezing around the clock. My experience is
that the paper in contact with the soil decays over the winter, and whatever
is growing beneath will begin growing through the leaves if they are left in
place. I will remove most of them in March, and spread them around as mulch
elsewhere.

Oak leaves are more acidic, but remain looser than maple, which tend to mat
over time once wet. OTOH, the top of the bags usually remains intact over the
winter, and if the leaves were packed dry, they may stay that way. (That may
be an argument for removing the paper, so the soil doesn't dry out, though
during the winter, I'm not sure it's significant.) Thoughts welcome!

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/