market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mulching garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mulching garlic
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:20:39 -0600

I plant the sets by Halloween or the first week of November, mulch heavily with straw which is mainly
for spring weed  and moisture control.
I have also grown garlic without mulch-planted the same way/time,  an acre plot prepared by stale bed cultivation, but the weeds
are still awful to deal with in an allium patch. I do mostly plant the hardneck varieties.  No
problems with winter hardiness-German Extra Hardy red- mulched or not.   Some seasons the foliage
barely tops the mulch in the fall; sometimes not.  In spring, I topdress with a pelleted
chicken manure and leave it alone-except for adding more mulch/irrigation if needed-until harvest.
My best profit crop with three harvests: every other plant pulled
for garlic scallions in spring, then the scapes, then the heads.
Shawnee, zone 5, Northern Illinois, still cutting baby kale