market-farming - [Market-farming] Watering Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Watering Tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 15:53:27 -0400

Folks -

I seem to hear it two ways: keep tomatoes well watered and never water tomatoes once they start producing fruit.

If for no other reason that to spare them from splitting due to rain, it seems they need to be watered regularly, but then there's the water vs flavor issue.

how do you handle it?

And what about feeding once fruit is coming along? Too late to feed? Or do they need it more than ever?

Thanks

-Allan in WV (where we are still waiting for the first real flush of ripe tomatoes)