market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] brown rot in peaches

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] brown rot in peaches
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:19:52 -0400

On Jul 27, 2008, at 12:13 PM, Teresa Oliver wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>Was wondering if anyone is struggling with brown rot in peaches this season?  We had some on plums earlier  - it is much worse in the peaches.  My question is --is it possible to wash them and store to ripen since they are rotting before they ripen. Do you wash them with anything special?  Are they safe to eat? We have a small CSA list where we mix vegetables, fruits and herbs and have not had this problem to this extent in seasons past.  I can find information about working on the problem itself although not this season so will try that - just wanted to know about other people's experiences. Thanks -- Teresa, Sundog CSA</x-tad-smaller>
_

My experience:

Once brown rot is visible on the fruit, they won't keep, it'll spread through the individual fruit and also to any other fruit next to it; but, if the fruit is ripe enough to eat, and if you process them fast enough, the unaffected portions of each fruit are fine to eat or freeze. "Fast enough", however, is almost immediately: within about a day, even if refrigerated.