market-farming - [Market-farming] BCS Tiller conversion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pam Twin Oaks" <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] BCS Tiller conversion
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:53:02 -0400

We have a newish BCS 732 which converts between walk-behind tiller and
brush mower. The conversion task is not as quick and easy as I'd
hoped. Anyone else out there got one of these and developed good tips?
We have the Quick-Hitch. Converting involves raising the Quick-Hitch
pin; detaching the attachment by pushing and pulling; unclipping the
gear and PTO levers; activating the handlebar locking lever; rotating
the handlebars and re-locking them; making sure no cables are pinched;
putting the other attachment on and latching the pin. Problems we have
are related to dirt seizing up the handlebar locking lever, and its
cable and spring, and not having enough hands and feet (and strength!)
to do all the simultaneous pushing, pulling and rotating! Oiling and
greasing everything does help, but even so, I think surely it could be
easier than this? Do other BCS users have help to offer?

Also, the tiller does not seem to go as deep as our old Troybilt,
which is especially noticeable with the furrower. Any comments,
anyone?

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA