market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harvest containers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harvest containers
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 01:30:26 -0400

I use 7/8 and 1 7/8 bushel stackable/nestable totes from Buckhorn and several other suppliers.  The larger totes are nice for leafy greens, potatoes and squash while the smaller containers are used for tomatoes, radishes, scallions, and the more delicate vegetables.

Andy

Cory and Shanti Rade wrote:
8CA902BE87AC6A8-1044-2619 AT webmail-ne02.sysops.aol.com" type="cite">I am looking to buy some harvest containers.  Have been harvesting into 5 gallon buckets for the past 10 years, but now that we have a walk-in cooler, I am looking to upgrade and buckets don't work well for everything.  We would be using them for a wide variety of crops from salad mix to head lettuce to peppers, eggplant, roots crops, onions - basically everything (except tomatoes).  I am thinking something that will nest and stack and is a durable plastic able to handle lots of sun (in Arizona) and not break down.  Are there companies and specific styles that anyone likes?  I did come across Buckhorn Packaging, but there are lots of options and I am not sure what would be best.
Thanks for your input.

Shanti Rade
Whipstone Farm
Paulden, AZ