market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rules and Regs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brigette Leach <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>
  • To: lists AT rhomestead.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rules and Regs
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:36:28 -0400

In Michigan, all processed foods sold at Farmers Markets, as well as Farm Markets, have to be prepared in an inspected, certified kitchen. Even if I want to slice a melon, wrap it and sell it, it must be done in an approved facility and staff have to be supervised by someone who has proven that they know safe food handling practices. If I want to dry tomatoes and bag them for sale, likewise. There are no provisions for any of the cottage type/size  industries that some states permit. Anything pickled falls into the acidified foods category (high risk) and must be processed to meet federal standards. Even honey has to be extracted and bottled in an inspected facility in order to be sold at the Farmers Market. Adulteration of the product I think is the issue with honey.

We do get inspected by the same inspector at the Farmers Markets.

I will say that our area MDA inspector is very good to work with and wants to make sure that foods are handled safely, but also wants to help food related businesses and Farmers Markets succeed. He is willing to make suggestions on how to meet the regulations based on what you actually want to process and sell, helping to avoid some of the overkill.

I guess we are more strict than a lot of other states, but we also don't have very many food related illnesses/scares that are created outside of the home.

Brigette Leach
Avalon Farms Homegrown
Share of the Farm
www.avalonfarmshomegrown.net
Climax MI 49034

Beth Spaugh wrote:
Same in New York

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used."  -
Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Francis
Moore Lappe