market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rules and Regs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rules and Regs
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:10:11 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

In Georgia, we had a visit to our market by an inspector from the GA Ag dept.
Seems a disgruntled person called them about some farmers selling pickles and
salsa made in non-certified kitchens.

He checked our charter and said there were 2 reasons we culd do this:
1. we are incorporated as a non-profit corporation and they don't regulate
those
2. we are a farmer owned and run organization, so he said we were under the
same rules as a farm stand- they don't regulate those.

It's different in every state, so check with a friendly in your state ag
dept. There could be exceptions.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm