market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 62, Issue 40

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost AT riseup.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 62, Issue 40
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:51:18 -0600

There are people who make a good income market gardening, and not all in
areas where people value local enough to pay more. And we all want the best
prices for our produce because it does take work and its superior to
storebought. I get better prices in a moderate income area with big box
stores nearby. But the key to making the farm pay is probably in cost
cutting. A friend of ours has a small egg ranch and the cost of chicken
feed is ruining his egg business. He's looking for ways to grow his own
feed.

Right about startup cost. People just aren't buying farms and equipment at
today's prices and making a living on them. Yet some can grow intensively
on very little land, with minimal equipment, and retail at farmers markets
or farmstands, and make a good income at it. We're not making a lot with
climate, age, and limited capital working against us, but we hold costs
very low and almost all of our market gross is profit. The land came with
the house, we're not paying off any power equipment, and don't pay outside
labor.

Another key might be in what we grow. If eggs don't pay their way then look
at what does. In our area we don't have as many customers as big city
markets, so we diversify and try to have something for everyone. Customers
come looking for fresh produce. So we want to offer a continuous supply of
a variety of produce items that they would usually buy anywhere. Those
selling only honey, only goat cheese, etc. need a much bigger market to
make it worthwhile. We do early and late crops in beds and get far more
from limited growing area. We're all learning but holding down those costs
needs to be numero uno. YMMV.

paul tradingpost AT lobo.net