market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Surviving

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Surviving
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:24:00 -0500

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:46:56 -0400, you wrote:

>Lynn you may have to find a market a few hours away and drive to it
>to make your farm work for you since it sounds like your area is
>stagnant. I see on the map you are in the middle of nowhere (it must
>be beautiful, though). The best town I can see near you is Ithaca NY
>which has Cornell U as well as the Culinary Institute of America and
>I would think would be an incredible market for local foods and very
>much worth the drive up there. In Ithaca people would not think twice
>about paying $4 a dozen for pastured eggs.

I live near Lynne (2 miles, maybe 3 away from her place). Our area is
indeed very beautiful, but it is also very stagnant (good choice of word
for this area). (See: www.visittiogapa.com )

Ithaca is indeed a great market for natural foods, BUT... I suspect it's
more than adequately served already by a very large natural foods co-op and
so on. It's about 90 miles from here. 180 mile round trips are fairly
expensive these days, what with the cost of gasoline.

Elmira (NY) is about 55 miles from here; Williamsport (PA) is about 65
miles from here. We are in the middle of nowhere, especially as the
Eastern part of the country goes.

Pat
-- Northern Pennsylvania
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
We should live in such a way that makes a future possible.'
- Thich Nhat Hanh