market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Advice on small contract w/ Extension

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Advice on small contract w/ Extension
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:23:51 -0500

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 13:10:05 -0500, you wrote:

>I am doing this because i really believe that more citizens need to get
>involved in their own growing at home in these harder times. We live in
>an area where people have never had good shopping anywhere nearby, and
>their farms used to sustain community only a generation or two in the
>past. It is a poor county, and many cannot afford the fresh food prices
>in the local markets anymore, but do have space to grow at least some, if
>not most of their foods - like their ancestors did.

We're in a very similar area - but in the northern Appalachians.

It seems many people here don't even have the *idea* of eating fresh
veggies or salad stuffs. It's just not something they think of, or do. I
see peoples' carts in the supermarkets and it seems they rarely include
fresh veggies. We very rarely see a vegetable garden either.

No local restaurants use fresh veggies. None. They probably don't want to
use fresh veggies either - they don't have to, to be competitive ....since
none of them do it.

It's really very sad.

Pat
-- Northern Pennsylvania
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our planet.
We should live in such a way that makes a future possible.'
- Thich Nhat Hanh