market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] pressure treated organic?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] pressure treated organic?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:38:53 -0800

Actually, it can be allowed in limited circumstances.

A certified organic grower here in Washington State uses treated posts to support metal seedling racks in their greenhouse. With the blessing of the state inspector, the treated posts are used as uprights supporting the horizontal racks. The posts rest on cement blocks, which rest on weed mat covering bare soil, and there is separation at the top (metal racks) from the seeding trays ever touching the treated posts. Apparently, the practice was permissible as long as the treated wood did not come in contact with either soil or plant.

Kate