market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wood for posts - Coppicing?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wood for posts - Coppicing?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:30:43 -0500

Is anyone out their familiar with this practice, either personally or through an aquaintance?

European permaculture people can probably fill you in on this. UK organic farmers who have visited my farm usually mention copicing...that they do it in their woodlot. One claimed it was economically well worthwhile for him.

On the organic acceptible posts: are not the current pressure treated posts actually ok by USDA standards? I'm talking about the 'new' pressure treated wood, the non-organic stuff now also being illegal to sell at LOWE's, etc.

I find it strange that we don't really seem to know the status of 'modern' pressure treated woods. I don't trust the industry, of course, but I have been told that the new method overcomes the problems inherent in the arsenic woods.

-Allan