market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] We got robbed at the market, don't let this happe n to you

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] We got robbed at the market, don't let this happe n to you
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:34:58 GMT

We used the pocket aprons the first few years of doing our market. It slowed
us down too much, and they get hot in the heat of summer. So, we went with a
cash box. We keep it on the tailgate of the pickup. This summer though after
a particular busy day, I took my 5 year old to the playground for a break
while my husband ran the booth. I noticed we had a lot of twenty dollar
bills, but didn't think anything of it. When I came back from the playground
I again glanced at the cash-box and immediately asked my husband what he had
done with all the twenties. He didn't know what I was talking about. He has
no idea what happened. Someone apparently reached in grabbed the twenties and
took off. No one saw anything, and my husband was right there, but he was
talking to a customer. The thief didn't take all the bills but we figure we
lost about 200 dollars that day. It could have been much worse. We blame
ourselves for being so naive and thinking because it's such a nice town, nice
market, that we were safe from that sort of thing. We warned all the other
vendors, and now we are all trying to look out for each other.
Carla