market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] We got robbed at the market, don't let this happe n to you

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: deberryemail-website AT yahoo.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] We got robbed at the market, don't let this happe n to you
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:05:15 -0700 (PDT)

A friend of ours had his cash box stolen at a busy market, but our friend was able to run after and catch (ok, tackle) the guy.  This made us very aware of our own situation.

We purchased a cash drawer this year, and place it underneath the tablecloth on the table.  Then we pile something on top of that (a crate of peppers, etc.)  This makes it more difficult for people to steal the whole thing.  It has a button to push to open it (spring loaded).  We stuff all 20's in our pocket and take out any smaller bills when too many pile up in the drawer.  At the end of the market, we first take the cash drawer and lock it in the front of the truck (underneath a sweater or something to hide it).  Then we load our truck.  I know it's not fool-proof, but it's worked so far.

I've used aprons, and I agree they slow you down a bit.  I've thought about making my own, having deeper pockets with enough pockets for each denomination, (I'm thinking of putting the bills in portrait-wise, not landscape to save space) but haven't gotten around to it.  If it was a little sturdier than the cheap canvas carpenter aprons, it might help.

Good luck,
Cheryl DeBerry
DeBerry Farm