market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Plowed fields with weeds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sean Albiston" <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Plowed fields with weeds
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:40:43 -0500 (CDT)

If your trying to plant into it, flame weeding might be the way to go.
You can rig up a couple of Red Dragon's on an old disc frame or even
rigged to a wagon if necessary for a pretty cheap bed weeder.

Other than that, implement choice is pretty key for situations like this.
Obviously plot size is a determining factor, but I'm under the delusion
that using plows, followed by discs for vegetables is woefully inadequate
at any scale. Especially considering energy costs and timing factors with
weather.

An Imants tiller with the power harrow would be the best way to get a
plantable seedbed, it would bury all the little seedlings under 5" of soil
and create a good seedbed in a single pass. It is also very forgiving in
a wide range of soil moisture conditions.

sean albiston