market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What do you do in a crop loss situation?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What do you do in a crop loss situation?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:36:41 EDT

Brad I have never seen this happen.  We have been through drought's, wind storms, hail storms, and just about everything in the past 30 years doing this.  The market never has dried up on product.  Some Items will just not be there for the season, but most customers will really understand.  We do two large markets on Saturday and 4 during the week.  The market will be OK but some vendors may be gone, and if they are not good managers they normally will not be around for the duration.  And another comment, I have never seen or have attended a 100% grower market.  The markets we attend have 150 to 250 vendors every Saturday, and it is very diverse from food vendor's to meat, pie's, coffee, dog biscuits, bread  companies, jewelry, potter's (that is great) , deep fried almonds, smossie's, and on and on.  These markets will stay long after the college world series and all the downtown art shows and what ever Con Agri can come up with across the street from the Market.  OH we have a weekly attendance at both markets with very large crowds of people.  We lost everything one year when we were sprayed with Banval, we just replanted and had a lot of fall crops and lot's of pumpkins.

Phil

See what's free at AOL.com.