market-farming - [Market-farming] electric fencing - Premier

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] electric fencing - Premier
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 13:15:49 -0500

I have also used Premier fencing to keep goats, sheep and cows IN...and goats are the hardest farm animals to fence.   Those folks at Premier do raise goats and such, so they test their fencing in the real world.  However, unlike most goats (who luckily don't always use their ability to leap up from a standing position), deer use their amazing jumping powers frequently, so a 4 or 5 foot electric fence, even Premier, wouldn't stop them, no?

Based on my goat experience, if I really REALLY needed to fence out deer, I would be tempted by the following kind of fencing:

nan, formerly of Dancing Goats Farm, N. Mississippi