market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market Scale recomendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "cjmaness AT juno.com" <cjmaness AT juno.com>
  • To: janl2 AT mindspring.com, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market Scale recomendations?
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 14:19:40 GMT

We use mostly quart, and pint containers. I believe we got them
through Indiana Berry Co. several years ago. We bought 250 of the
quart size.
You really just have to experiment. When we first started out I was
putting jalapenos in the quart size. They didn't sell. I repackaged
into the pint size, and now they sell. Same with cherry tomatoes. For
us, they seem to sell better by the pint.
We also put everything into a bag. We re-use the containers over and
over. Our containers are 5 years old now, and some are stained,
tearing and other damage. When they start looking messy, I throw them
away. All in all, I think getting 5 years plus out of them has been
worth.
I think we paid about 35 dollars for the case of 250. Prices have
probably gone up since everything else has.
This may not be the cheapest place. I haven't really checked around
for better prices.
Carla