market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market Scale recomendations?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers Market Scale recomendations?
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 19:29:16 -0500

For small things like cherries and small peppers, you can sell by the half pint, pint, or quart. Larger items are usually sold each or in groups of two, three, or four. Some things are sold by the bushel or half bushel, or peck. Some items like unshelled peas and beans can be sold by the "mess". A mess is the size you'd cook up for a meal - which can be any size container you choose. You can sell by the "bunch" in the case of things like radishes, garlic, and green onions. I usually fill containers with whatever is being sold, okra, unshelled black eyed peas, etc... for a given price. They choose which one they want, after the sale it goes into a plastic T-shirt bag or mesh bag for larger amounts. You don't sell the display containers.

Here are some conversions for you.

1 bushel [US, dry] = 4 peck [US]
1 bushel [US, dry] = 8 gallon [US, dry]
1 peck [US] = 8 quart [US, dry]

Note that dry measures are not the same as wet.

1 gallon [US, dry] = 1.163 gallon [US, liquid]
1 quart [US, dry] = 1.163 quart [US, liquid]
1 pint [US, dry] = 1.163 pint [US, liquid]

Here is a link for wood baskets. http://www.texasbasket.com/products.html

Hope this helps.

TxBeeFarmer
West Texas Zone 7b