market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] price for black eyed peas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: <farmersue AT hughes.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] price for black eyed peas
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:59:17 -0600

Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents about black eyed peas. Last year we
shelled a few hundred quarts. Firstly, a good sheller is a must. If you
want to sell them as freshly shelled and unfrozen, they can't be washed
after shelling. There's something about them that changes when washed. If
washed, they'll start giving of gas in just minutes, swell up the bags, and
be unsellable, even if refrigerated. Oddly enough, if unwashed, they'll
last a few days refrigerated. For freezing, shelled black eyes should be
blanched for 2 or 3 minutes - depending on your altitude. This is quite a
process if you have a lot. We sold shelled, blanched, frozen, quart bags
for $5 each. Sales were good, but it was a LOT of work.

Speaking of shelling peas, I have a "Little Pea Sheller" from Taylor. It's
good if all you have is one or two bushels - takes about 20-30 minutes for
each bushel and you have to feed them in a little at a time. Add prep and
cleanup time, and you've spent a good chunk of time shelling peas. Anyone
know of a sheller that can handle bigger loads?

Thanks
TxBeeFarmer
West Texas Zone 7b